Extra Plaques

This page catalogues and displays some of the other plaques that are present in Harrogate.

Plq01 A The Magnesia Well.jpg

XP01

Bogs Field (36 Springs)

Plaque Location : 

Valley Gardens

Just up from Magnesia Well café (on the circular flower bed).

Plq01 B The Magnesia Well.jpg

Plaque Inscription : 

In this part of the Valley Gardens are found many of the Sulphur and Iron waters used in the Spa treatment at the Royal Baths. Thirty Six Springs arise within an acre. No two are exactly alike in chemical composition. So far as is known, in no similar area in the world can such a diversity of Springs be found. These facts make the Valley Gardens unique. Presented by Worldfriends Harrogate Council for International Contact.

Plq01 A The Magnesia Well.jpg

XP02

Brunswick Station

Plaque Location : 

Trinity Road

On The Stray, almost opposite Trinity Church (towards Otley Road).

Plq01 B The Magnesia Well.jpg

Plaque Inscription : 

Site of Brunswick Station of the York N Midland Railway. Opened 20th July 1848. Closed 1st August 1862.

Plq01 A The Magnesia Well.jpg

XP03

Cyclists' Touring Club

Plaque Location : 

Montpellier Road

In flower bed/ on wall, opposite George Hotel (& behind Bus Shelter).

Plq01 B The Magnesia Well.jpg

Plaque Inscription : 

The first touring club in the world was formed here on August 5th 1878 when a meeting of cyclists founded the Bicycle Touring Club which in 1883 became the Cyclists Touring Club. This memorial was erected in the club’s seventy-fifth year.

Plq01 A The Magnesia Well.jpg

XP04

Samson Fox Ox Roast

Plaque Location : 

The Stray (High Harrogate)

On Skipton Road, by Coach Road. On the tree.

Plq01 B The Magnesia Well.jpg

Plaque Inscription : 

This oak tree was planted by Samson Fox Esquire of Grove House on August 1902 to commemorate his Ox Roasting on the Stray near this spot in the years 1887 and 1902. 1887 The Jubilee of Queen Victoria. 1902 The Declaration of Peace in South Africa.

Plq01 A The Magnesia Well.jpg

XP05

Clinical Medical Laboratory

Plaque Location : 

Belford Road

Junction with Victoria Avenue. Plaque on house side.

Plq01 B The Magnesia Well.jpg

Plaque Inscription : 

In 1921 The first Clinical Medical Laboratory in this district was established in this building by Dr Sinclair Miller & Dr F. B. Smith.

Plq01 A The Magnesia Well.jpg

XP06

Gerald Finzi

Plaque Location : 

Duchy Road

Just after junction with Wood View (from Ripon Road).

Plq01 B The Magnesia Well.jpg

Plaque Inscription : 

Home from 1915 – 1922 of GERALD FINZI English Composer (1901 – 1956)

Plq01 A The Magnesia Well.jpg

XP07

Elgar Walk

Plaque Location : 

Valley Gardens

Up from Crescent Road entrance on RH side (direction to Magnesia Well café).

Plq01 B The Magnesia Well.jpg

Plaque Inscription : 

To commemorate Sir Edward Elgar’s many visits to Harrogate from 1912 to 1927 and his regular walk between the Hotel Majestic and Bogs Field, this path was named The Elgar Walk in August 1989. The first provincial performance of his Second Symphony took place in Harrogate in 1911.

Plq01 A The Magnesia Well.jpg

XP08

US Army General Hospital

Plaque Location : 

Valley Gardens

Just after Crescent Road entrance on left hand side.

Plq01 B The Magnesia Well.jpg

Plaque Inscription : 

This Tablet was erected by the Officers and Nurses of the 116th General Hospital of the United States Army who, serving their country during World War II, spent happy days in Harrogate and enjoyed the hospitality of all of Yorkshire. July 28, 1944 May 11, 1945.

© 2019 by C R Dicken & Harrogate Civic Society. Proudly created with Wix.com

  • Facebook Social Icon
  • Twitter Social Icon
  • Google+ Social Icon
XP03 A Cyclists Touring Club.jpg