This page catalogues and displays some of the other plaques that are present in Harrogate.

Plq01 A The Magnesia Well.jpg

XP01

Plq01 B The Magnesia Well.jpg

Bogs Field (36 Springs)

Valley Gardens

Plaque Location : 

Plaque Inscription : 

In this part of the Valley Gardens are found many of the Sulphur and Iron waters used in the Spa treatment at the Royal Baths. Thirty Six Springs arise within an acre. No two are exactly alike in chemical composition. So far as is known, in no similar area in the world can such a diversity of Springs be found. These facts make the Valley Gardens unique. Presented by Worldfriends Harrogate Council for International Contact.

Just up from Magnesia Well café (on the circular flower bed).

Plq01 A The Magnesia Well.jpg

XP02

Plq01 B The Magnesia Well.jpg

Brunswick Station

Trinity Road

Plaque Location : 

Plaque Inscription : 

Site of Brunswick Station of the York N Midland Railway. Opened 20th July 1848. Closed 1st August 1862.

On The Stray, almost opposite Trinity Church (towards Otley Road).

Plq01 A The Magnesia Well.jpg

XP03

Plq01 B The Magnesia Well.jpg

Cyclists' Touring Club

Montpellier Road

Plaque Location : 

Plaque Inscription : 

The first touring club in the world was formed here on August 5th 1878 when a meeting of cyclists founded the Bicycle Touring Club which in 1883 became the Cyclists Touring Club. This memorial was erected in the club’s seventy-fifth year.

In flower bed/ on wall, opposite George Hotel (& behind Bus Shelter).

Plq01 A The Magnesia Well.jpg

XP04

Plq01 B The Magnesia Well.jpg

Samson Fox Ox Roast

The Stray (High Harrogate)

Plaque Location : 

Plaque Inscription : 

This oak tree was planted by Samson Fox Esquire of Grove House on August 1902 to commemorate his Ox Roasting on the Stray near this spot in the years 1887 and 1902. 1887 The Jubilee of Queen Victoria. 1902 The Declaration of Peace in South Africa.

On Skipton Road, by Coach Road. On the tree.

Plq01 A The Magnesia Well.jpg

XP05

Plq01 B The Magnesia Well.jpg

Clinical Medical Laboratory

Belford Road

Plaque Location : 

Plaque Inscription : 

In 1921 The first Clinical Medical Laboratory in this district was established in this building by Dr Sinclair Miller & Dr F. B. Smith.

Junction with Victoria Avenue. Plaque on house side.

Plq01 A The Magnesia Well.jpg

XP06

Plq01 B The Magnesia Well.jpg

Gerald Finzi

Duchy Road

Plaque Location : 

Plaque Inscription : 

Home from 1915 – 1922 of GERALD FINZI English Composer (1901 – 1956)

Just after junction with Wood View (from Ripon Road).

Plq01 A The Magnesia Well.jpg

XP07

Plq01 B The Magnesia Well.jpg

Elgar Walk

Valley Gardens

Plaque Location : 

Plaque Inscription : 

To commemorate Sir Edward Elgar’s many visits to Harrogate from 1912 to 1927 and his regular walk between the Hotel Majestic and Bogs Field, this path was named The Elgar Walk in August 1989. The first provincial performance of his Second Symphony took place in Harrogate in 1911.

Up from Crescent Road entrance on RH side (direction to Magnesia Well café).

Plq01 A The Magnesia Well.jpg

XP08

Plq01 B The Magnesia Well.jpg

US Army General Hospital

Valley Gardens

Plaque Location : 

Plaque Inscription : 

This Tablet was erected by the Officers and Nurses of the 116th General Hospital of the United States Army who, serving their country during World War II, spent happy days in Harrogate and enjoyed the hospitality of all of Yorkshire. July 28, 1944 May 11, 1945.

Just after Crescent Road entrance on left hand side.

Extra Plaques

© 2019 by C R Dicken & Harrogate Civic Society. Proudly created with Wix.com

  • Facebook Social Icon
  • Twitter Social Icon
  • Google+ Social Icon
XP07 B Elgar Walk.jpg